Lichfield, Burntwood & Villages Liberal Democrats
'Click on weblink below for our survey about Lichfield City Birmingham Road development and also the former Debenhams shop premises.
Article: Apr 27, 2021
Liberal Democrat Councillors have been working hard for residents on Lichfield City Council.
Miles Trent reports
Eight Liberal Democrat councillors were elected to Lichfield City Council in 2019, effectively becoming the major opposition to the ruling Tory group. Since then they have worked actively on behalf of all Lichfield residents.
- Lobbying the County Council to get Weston Road resurfaced and potholes fixed.
- Playing a key role in the successful campaign to save the Friary Grange Leisure Centre - for the benefit of Lichfield citizens and to alleviate pressure on Burntwood Leisure Centre.
- Taking action with regard to the Windmill pub leading to a Compulsory Purchase Order with construction now looking to start in 2021.
- Continuing pressure to ensure the transfer of public open space at Darwin Park to the District Council to ensure regular ongoing maintenance. (Scheduled for completion by end March 2021.)
- Working to support and improve Lichfield City markets. Cllr. Paul McDermott, as Deputy Chair of the cross-party Markets Working Group, has been heavily involved in ensuring the continued viability of the City's markets during what has been an exceptionally difficult time.
Article: Apr 21, 2021By Cllr Paul Ray
Paul Ray, Liberal Democrat Councillor on Lichfield District Council writes:
Lichfield & Burntwood and the surrounding villages is a great place to live but we face important challenges. The key issues we campaign for locally are:
- more affordable housing - the district needs more houses for its current residents - and their children and grandchildren. Housing is just too expensive especially for young people and their families. There are currently over 1000 people on the local housing waiting list but last year only 206 affordable homes were built. The new local plan sets the affordable housing target at the level that is currently being achieved. That is just not ambitious enough.
Article: Apr 14, 2021By Paul Taylor - Candidate for Burntwood South
Let's have a look at how the Government has handled the Pandemic
Paul Taylor writes about the Government's management
Spring is in the air. The tremendous success of the vaccine development and roll-out have lifted the spirits. And boosted The Government's and Mr Johnson's popularity and their position in the polls. But don't be fooled: one swallow doesn't make a summer. And one good decision (or adherence to scientific advice for once) does not prove competence.
Article: Apr 4, 2021By Cllr Hugh Ashton
The elephant in the room - Bungling Boris has botched it
by Hugh Ashton
The current pandemic crisis has so dominated the news that our other ongoing crisis, the chaos and damage caused by this government's bungled exit from the European Union, seems to be almost neglected by the media. Far from having our cake and eating it, as PM Johnson claimed, we have dropped the cake on the floor, leaving us with an inedible mess. It's becoming increasingly clear that Brexit is far from DONE.
Page: Mar 17, 2021
Paul McDermott candidate for the Lichfield Rural North division in the May 2021 Staffordshire County Council Election
Paul McDermott, although originally from Manchester, has lived in Lichfield since 1974. He has 2 sons and 3 grandchildren, all still living in Staffordshire. A graduate in Paper Science, he has run his own business in the paper industry since 1992, working with various European paper mills. He also acts as Hon. Secretary for the Birmingham Paper Trade Social Society. Paul is a worship leader at Lichfield Methodist Church and treasurer for the Tamworth and Lichfield Circuit of Methodist churches. A former Captain of 1st Lichfield Boys' Brigade he continues an active interest in the Company as their treasurer. His other interests include music and travel.
Page: Mar 16, 2021
Paul Taylor candidate for the Burntwood South division in the May 2021 Staffordshire County Council Election and in Summerhill & All Saints ward in Lichfield district council by-election.
"My name is Paul Taylor known online and to my friends as theaardvark, and whilst I might look like a character from Game of Thrones, I am in fact your LibDem candidate for Burntwood South in the Staffordshire County Council May 2021 elections.
Page: Mar 14, 2021
Hugh Ashton candidate for the Lichfield City South division in the May 2021 Staffordshire County Council Election
Hugh Ashton spent much of his early life in Stafford, and moved to Japan in 1988, where he stayed until 2016 when he returned to live in Lichfield near his family. He has represented Garrick Road ward in Lichfield since 2019, works as a freelance writer and novelist, and has taken part in volunteer activities throughout the city, including helping with the Lichfield Emergency Night Shelter, and the COVID vaccination centre in the Cathedral.
Article: Dec 30, 2020By Cllr Hugh Ashton - Lichfield Liberal Democrats
Lichfield's Conservative MP Michael Fabricant has recently published his party's view of the benefits there will be for our area on the back of Brexit.
Similarly to a majority of our American cousins difficulty with soon to be ex-President Trump we have trouble agreeing with Mr Fabricants "facts" let alone his conclusions.